mirror.co.uk

Roberto De Zerbi risks another Premier League ban with post-match comments on Chelsea loss

Brighton head coach Roberto De Zerbi could be hit with another touchline ban after criticising referee Michael Salisbury's performance in the 2-1 defeat to Chelsea

Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi hit out at referee Michael Salisbury after losing to Chelsea (

Image: Brighton and Hove Albion FC)

Roberto De Zerbi could be in hot water with the Football Association again after admitting he "didn't like" the performance of referee Michael Salisbury following Brighton's loss against Chelsea.

The Seagulls chief, 44, was given a one-match touchline ban and a £15,000 fine earlier in the season after being sent off against Fulham and sparked controversy back in November after admitting he doesn't like "80 per cent of English referees."

And De Zerbi took aim at Salisbury in the aftermath of Brighton's 2-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night after his side were denied what he thought was a penalty.

Speaking to BBC Sport, the Italian said: "I think we played a very good second half and the second part of the first half as well. We know the qualities of Chelsea.

"I think we gave our best and we have another game to reach the top 10 position. It has been a very tough season and the fans have understood everything. We have competed in a good way but have lost too many points at home, especially in the first part of the season and we have paid for that.

"I think it was a clear penalty today. But the problem is not VAR, the problem is the level of the referees. Today I did not like the performance of the referee. But I make more mistakes than the referee.

"I am happy for this season but I am sorry because I am disappointed and wished we would compete in a different way. Next season we can be a stronger squad and team."

Join the debate! Do you think De Zerbi will stay at Brighton? Let us know here.

Brighton were beaten 2-1 by Chelsea at the AMEX

De Zerbi, who is contracted to Brighton until the summer of 2026, is set for talks with owner Tony Bloom over his future. He's been linked with a move away in recent months but stressed that he loves the club and wants to stay.

He told Sky Sports a fortnight ago: "We're going to speak with Tony. I think I would like to stay in Brighton because I love my players. I love this city. I love my club, my fans.

"I said in the meeting with the fans, if I'm happy, there isn't any club can bring myself to change a team but I want to keep my passion always."

DON'T SCRAP REPLAYS! Join our petition to keep the magic of the FA Cup alive!

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it.

Learn more

Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk are set to lock horns in a huge bout on May 18 with each fighter attempting to etch their name in boxing history as the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 1999. The stakes couldn't be higher as the pair will go head to head for the prestigious WBC, WBA, WBO, and IBF titles.

Read full news in source page