Home » Liverpool FC » Hull City 4-4 Swansea City: Swans' play-off hopes suffer again in dramatic finish to eight-goal

Swansea City saw their play-off hopes further dented as they were held to a dramatic 4-4 draw by struggling Hull City at the KCOM Stadium.

A sloppy start saw the visitors fall behind through Leonardo da Silva Lopes' early opener, before Wayne Routledge responded by tapping home on 14 minutes.

Hull retook the lead just after the break when Marcus Maddison fired home after pouncing on a loose ball inside the area to fire past Freddie Woodman, only for Kyle Naughton to drill in an equaliser from a Matt Grimes corner.

A dramatic contest swung back in Hull's favour when Mallik Wilks restored the lead after pouncing on his own rebounded header.

But yet again, Swansea hit back, with Jordon Garrick marking his return to the side after a four-month lay-off with a well-taken effort from close range.

Swansea had the wind in their sails, and looked to have secured an incredible three points when fellow substitute Rhian Brewster struck late on.

But there was still time for a late twist as substitute Tom Eaves netted late on to rescue a point.

The result does little for Swansea's play-off ambitions, with City now five points adrift of the top six, although there were certainly some positives to cling onto.

Swansea came into this contest having failed to register a win in their last four matches, a run that culminated in Steve Cooper's side being booed off the pitch after faililng to land a single shot on target in the drab 0-0 draw with Queens Park Rangers on Tuesday night.

Cooper responded by making four changes to that side, with Joe Rodon missing out due to a slight knock.

Hull, devastated by an injury crisis, came into this clash on the back of a sorry run of their own, having not won in their last seven outings in all competitions.

However, they started by far the brighter here, with Wilks sending out an early warning shot, heading narrowly over the bar within the first five minutes.

It was a warning that a sluggish Swansea didn't heed and two minutes later the hosts took the lead.

A teasing cross from Callum Elder on the left eluded the head of Wilks, but fell kindly to an unmarked da Silva, who drilled home.

Hull were well worth their advantage, but that strike appeared to wake up the visitors, who hit back just seven minutes later.

A lovely move on the edge of the area allowed Conor Gallagher to skip his way into the box, before squaring a low cross that eventually found Routledge, who was able to tap home with the simplest of finishes from close range.

Andre Ayew drilled an effort wide just moments later as Swansea looked to build on their newfound momentum.

Hull goalkeeper George Long had to be alert to keep out Gallagher's stinging effort from distance, before turning Bersant Celina's freekick round the post 15 minutes before half-time.

Chances continued to come, with Gallagher looping a header wide, before Naughton saw an angled effort deflected into the side netting.

Swansea looked to be the more likely to grab the next goal, but were once again let down by some comical defending.

A powerful run through the middle allowed Maddison to get a shot away, with a deflection leaving the ball hanging in the air for what felt like an eternity, bobbling off a crowd of players before eventually falling for forward, who lashed home.

However, once again Swansea hit back - in arguably unlikely circumstances.

The Swans hadn't scored from a corner since December 11, but put that record straight with a well-taken routine.

Grimes drilled in for an onrushing Naughton, who then confidently stroked home.

But parity would last just seven minutes.

A teasing cross from Daniel Batty on the right was met by the head of Wilks, who pounced on the rebound following Jay Fulton's block to blast into the net on 62 minutes.

Cooper must have been livid, throwing on Yan Dhanda, Brewster and Garrick in a bid to muster up yet another response.

And it was the latter who popped up with a third goal 13 minutes from time, tapping home superb low cross from Ayew to mark his return to the side with a goal.

It was a big positive on a thoroughly eventful night, and Swansea's spirit and guts looked to have secured a sensational win when Brewster netted a fourth after being teed up by Gallagher inside the box.

But Hull were to have the final say on this game as Eaves steered home a low cross deep into six minutes of added on time.